Thursday, January 1, 2009

Leaving

I just watched the new Prince Caspian and it got me thinking about how hard it is to leave behind some things. I can't imagine having to leave a place like Narnia. You would be leaving friends, adventures, creatures, status, excitement, and more all to go back to a routine life as a young person that few know, trading the adventure for the mundane, trading centaurs and talking animals for regular animals. I'm not sure I'd be able to do it, especially knowing I would never be able to come back.
In my personal life I have had some similar, although not so dramatic, experiences of this type. I work at a summer camp for the months of June and July. Every year I go there and make about 20-25 new friends among the staff, friends who know me better than any one else, friends who like and accept me any way. Half of these people I have not seen again and may never see again in this life time. I pray that when I die I will see everyone of these people in heaven celebrating with me, but I don't know. Every summer I have to leave on that last day and let them leave. I have to hug them goodbye and walk away with tears in my eyes.
That process never gets easier. All good things must come to an end. How sad! I can't wait for the day when I will reach heaven and I will be singing praises and partying for eternity. What a cool concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment